A British couple splashed £1,400 on a trip to Las Vegas – only to learn that a grisly double murder took place in their hotel just two nights before. Parents-to-be Mark, 35, and Lauren McKay, 33, booked a 10-day trip of a lifetime with Thomas Cook before settling down to save for their baby. They flew from their home Glasgow to Philadelphia and on to Vegas on June 3 last year and checked in at the Circus Circus Hotel. But pals later told them about the horrifying double killings that had just taken place, the Sunday Mail reported. Even more horrifying was the revelation that murderer was still on the loose. The couple are expecting a new arrival in December and say they were paralysed with fear for the rest of their trip. Mark, 35, said: “We were on edge for the whole time. But the most galling thing was that Thomas Cook knew about all of this before we left Scotland but chose not to tell us. They put us in a room two floors above the murder scene.” “This was our fourth time in Vegas. We love it. There’s always something to do and I like a gamble.” The van driver, added: “The humour was not lost on us. We’re from Greenock, the murder capital of the UK, but you go on holiday to escape. “We’d gone to the room for a shower, then ventured out to meet pals. It was only then that they told us what had happened. “The murders were on the 28th floor and we were on the 30th. It was horrifying.” Mark complained at reception and demanded a move but was advised to contact Thomas Cook. He said: “We sought out the Thomas Cook rep at another hotel, explaining that we couldn’t stay where we were. “The murderer had apparently been trying room doors until he found one he could open. It was horrendous. Lauren was distressed and on edge all the time.” But the holiday giant just told them to put their complaint in writing. As a result, the pair spent most of their time as far away from the hotel as possible. Mark said: “I’d been laid off at work and we couldn’t afford to pay for new accommodation. “We put a chair against the room door at night time. There was one guard on for the whole place. “It was only after the murderer was caught that security appeared to be stepped up.” Mark wrote to Thomas Cook when he got home but it insisted it was within its rights not to tell him. He added: “Thomas Cook claimed there was no active threat to guests.” The Sunday Mail got on to Thomas Cook, who said: “We did not receive any notification or report from the hotel regarding the incident. “We are sorry we didn’t respond to Mr McKay on his return and have contacted him to apologise for this and make things right.” The firm has offered a £300 voucher as a goodwill gesture.